SAMA UVResearch Group on food and environmental security
State-of-the-art analytical technology and services for the determination of pollutants and natural components and risk assessment
The research group on Food and Environmental security (SAMA-UV) is dedicated to research in environmental and food sciences and provides cutting-edge analytical technology and services for the determination of pollutants and Natural components focusing their activities in the areas of environmental health, quality and food safety as well as in the evaluation of risks and the study of human exposure.
• Sources and transfer of emerging and persistent pollutants (POPs), bio-accumulation and biomagnification.
• Environmental risk assessment.
– Detection of contamination sources and sources of contamination.
– Metabolomics of organic pollutants in the environment.
– Exposome study of aquatic biota
• Study of the behavior and fate of emerging pollutants during wastewater treatment.
– Development of environmental forensic methods and sewer epidemiology.
Quality and Food safety
• Advanced Chemical Analysis
• Characterization of quality and food safety in the framework of food legislation (finished product, raw materials, etc…).
• Foodomics: Profile and fingerprint techniques for the characterization of food, its authentication and the characterization of its origin.
• Advanced Analysis
• Human diet Studies
• Integrated risk assessment.
Fields of Application
Quantity and quality of water, sediment and soils
Preservation of natural spaces and biodiversity
Restoration of contaminated areas
Quality Control of raw materials and processed products
Authenticity and control of fraud
Analysis of organic and emergent pollutants
Detection and monitoring of sources of pollution
Identification of biomarkers and unknown compounds
Calculation of drug use and drugs of abuse in populations
Calculation of estimated daily intake (EDIs)
Calculation of exposure in different scenarios
Environmental pollution, due to anthropic activity, has grown exponentially in the last century. For this reason, the thesis has focused on a class of pollutants that reflects this pressure, namely pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs). The work carried...
The environment suffers the continue discharge of anthropogenic contaminants. Including organic compounds, such as, pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs), pesticides, perfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs), illicit drugs and microplastics. Furthermore, some of...
Free registration at antropocena.com | March 15, 2021 9:30 AM